Bluehost Review -Editor’s Review, Uptime Data, Discounts
Bluehost currently hosts more than 2 million websites, and is one of the most popular and cheap shared hosting options available. Bluehost is a web hosting company founded by Matt Heaton and Danny Ashworth in Provo, Utah. They have a staff of 750 people working 24 hours. As the accommodation recommended by WordPress.org, they have 1-click installation on all your plans.
- 1 Bluehost Review from Our Experts
- 1.1 Official 'official' host of WordPress.org
- 1.2 Many integrations and applications
- 1.3 Good security options
- 1.4 Refund Policy
- 1.5 Let's look at the Bluehost hosting plans and their features.
- 1.6 Bluehost site speed test
- 1.7 Bluehost Plan Comparison
- 1.8 Pros of Bluehost
- 1.9 Cons of Bluehost
- 1.10 What level of service should you choose?
- 2 How to Install WordPress on BlueHost
- 2.1 What Other Services Does Bluehost Offer?
- 2.2 What do I get with the Bluehost Marketplace?
- 2.3 What does the baseline plan offer?
- 2.4 Functions for geeks
- 2.5 What does Bluehost manage for its Business Cloud Accounts?
- 2.6 Why does the WordPress organization recommend Bluehost?
- 2.7 Do we recommend Bluehost?
- 2.8 Yes..!
Introduction to BlueHost
Founded in 1996, BlueHost offers mainly shared hosting services. It was founded by Matt Heaton, the CEO of 1996-2011. In 2010, EIG (Endurance International Group) acquired BlueHost under much controversy and speculation. Since 2011, Dan Handy has been the CEO of the company.
BlueHost is specialized in shared hosting, but has now begun to offer additional hosting types such as VPS, dedicated servers, and managed WordPress hosting. BlueHost strives to host more than 2 million websites worldwide, making it one of the leading hosting companies, based on the volume of hosted websites.
I have rated Bluehost 5 out of 5. Why?
Bluehost Review from Our Experts
Official 'official' host of WordPress.org
The official WordPress site (WordPress.org) recently re-created its hosting page. On that page, they have listed 3 hosting providers, including SiteGround, Dreamhost and Bluehost.
Many integrations and applications
Bluehost also comes with a full dash of applications so you can integrate various services, such as Google Apps and CloudFlare mentioned above, to increase the chances of your site.
Good security options
Bluehost's security options are good, offering tools that address some of the most common website risks.
Bluehost covers your plans with a 30-day money back guarantee. That means that if you cancel within the first 30 days, you will receive a full refund. If you choose to cancel after that, you will not receive a prorated refund for the period of your accommodation period that you have not used. Domain fees are non-refundable.Bluehost offers a variety of hosting plans for all budgets and sizes. These include shared hosting, VPS, dedicated server, cloud hosting, woCommerce hosting, WordPress hosting and more.
Let's look at the Bluehost hosting plans and their features.
Bluehost site speed test
Bluehost Plan Comparison
|WEBSITE SPACE||50 GB||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|EMAIL STORAGE||100 MB / account||Unlimited||Unlimited|
Pros of Bluehost
- Most plans include unlimited disk storage, domain hosting, email addresses and bandwidth.
- You get a free domain name for one year included with your purchase.
- The improved cPanel is really easy to use and offers quick access to functions. (According to Hosting Institute)
- The safety features at Bluehost are excellent.
- Numerous databases are available, including MySQL, PostgreSQL, CGI-BIN, PHP, Python, Perl, Ruby on Rails, and more.
- There are a lot of free scripts available for the website, including social networking scripts, blog support, mailing lists, message boards, Joomla and Drupal and Tikiwiki.
- The eCommerce features are good with multiple shopping carts available and SSL security.
- Most customers report that Bluehost is fast. Integrate with CloudFlare, and you'll get even better performance.
- If you can afford it, WordPress hosting at Bluehost is considered top notch.
Cons of Bluehost
- While there are many useful add-ons available, unfortunately, you must install many of them to get the full functionality you need.
- The customer service team receives mixed reviews.
- Bluehost loves to try to sell its customers, which can become annoying if it has a tight budget.
- WordPress plans are very nice in terms of features, but are also very expensive compared to the plans of many competitors. Inmotion, for example, has an excellent plan that starts at just $ 2.95 per month. This is less than half the initial price for the WP plan at the lowest level offered by Bluehost.
What level of service should you choose?
Bluehost offers five main types of hosting plans:
- Shared accommodation
- VPS Hosting
- Dedicated Hosting
- WordPress Hosting
- Cloud Sites
If you are looking for something cheap and basic, shared hosting is probably what you need. This is what most beginners and small businesses are buying. Dedicated hosting is the most expensive option, appropriate for large commercial enterprises that need total control of their resources.
With dedicated hosting, you’re basically renting a physical server. VPS hosting is an intermediate option in which you share a physical server with others, but you have your virtual operating system, so the server works as if it were physically yours. WordPress hosting is, of course, what it seems: hosting optimized for WordPress clients. Let’s take a look at the levels of the plan for each.
- Starter: Starting at $ 3.49 per month, this plan jumps up to $ 7.99 per month at the normal price.
- Plus: this plan is regularly $ 10.49 per month.
- Business Pro: This plan is $ 23.99 per month.
These prices are quite good. But with this agreement, you can make sure you get the best price! At the start level, you get a website, 100GB of space and unmeasured bandwidth. You also get one domain, five parked domains and 25 subdomains. Additional features include 100 e-mail accounts with 500 MB of storage each and $ 50 in marketing offers.
With Plus or Business Pro plans, you get unlimited websites and unmeasured space and bandwidth, which is unbelievable. You get a domain included, and you can have unlimited parked domains and subdomains.
Email accounts and storage are unlimited, along with $ 200 in marketing offers. In addition, it includes Global CDN and SpamExperts (over $ 24 per year in additional benefits).
The Business Pro plan includes up to $ 180 in additional yearly benefits, including two SpamExperts, SSL, dedicated IP address, domain privacy, enhanced performance, and SiteBackup Pro.
- Standard: $ 14.99 your first month, up to $ 29.99 after that
- Improved: $ 29.99 your first month, up to $ 59.99 after that
- Bonus: $ 44.99 your first month, up to $ 89.99 after that
- Ultimate: $ 59.99 your first month, up to $ 119.99 after that
These prices are in line with typical costs for VPS hosting throughout the industry. The speed for the first two plans is 2 CPU cores, up to three and four cores for the first two plans. Gets SAN storage from 30 GB at the lowest level, up to 240 GB at the highest level. RAM ranges from 2 GB to 8 GB. Gets 1TB of bandwidth in the Standard level, up to 4TB in the Maximum level. Each level includes a domain. The standard level includes an IP address; you get two with the rest. Each plan is backed by 24/7 support and a money back guarantee.
- Standard: $ 74.99 your first month, $ 149.99 per month thereafter.
- Improved: $ 99.99 your first month, $ 199.99 per month thereafter.
- Bonus: $ 124.99 your first month, $ 124.99 per month thereafter.
With the standard plan or the improved plan, you get a 4 x 2.5GHz CPU. The Premium plan offers you a 4 x 3.3GHz CPU. Storage is 1 TB (mirrored) and RAM starts at 4 GB in the Standard level, which reaches up to 16 GB in the Premium level. Gets 5 TB of bandwidth at standard level, 10 TB at Enhanced level and 15 TB at Premium. A domain is included in each plan. It obtains three IP addresses in Standard, four in Enhanced and five in Premium. All plans are backed by a 24/7 service and a money back guarantee.
- Blogger: $ 12.49 your first month, $ 24.99 after that
- Professional: $ 37.50 your first month, $ 74.99 after that
- Business: $ 60.00 your first month, $ 119.99 after that
- Company: $ 85.00 your first month, $ 169.99 after that
These plans are quite expensive compared to what some competitors offer (many hosts sell WordPress hosting plans at the same prices as general purpose shared hosting plans).
WordPress hosting at Bluehost is a great business, however, and one of the company’s most popular services with over one million sites hosted by the company.
The features at the blogger level include 100 million visits per month, 30 GB of storage space, 30 GB of storage, 2 GB of RAM, and up to five sites. Gets a wrapped domain and an IP address. Additional features include improved cPanel, SiteLock CDN, and SiteLock Pro for added security.
The Premier Enterprise plan gives you unlimited monthly visits, 240GB of storage and backup space, 8GB of RAM and up to 30 sites. Gets a domain and IP address included. Along with enhanced cPanel and SiteLock CDN / WAF Pro, you get SiteLock Enterprise and Positive Wildcard SSL.
All plans are backed by a 24/7 service and a money back guarantee. These plans also include automatic add-on updates and periodic backups.
These are all excellent features, but nevertheless you might wonder, “Why should I pay so much for WordPress hosting?”. Bluehost plays a very active role in the WordPress community and has a core team of developers. This means that Bluehost Review can offer first class customer support and even complex problems that are unique to WP.
This does not mean that Bluehost is your only or best option. However, hosts like Inmotion Hosting can compete easily and at a lower cost.
Characteristics of eCommerce
It’s easy to set up an online store with Bluehost Review, which offers many different shopping carts: Zen, Cube, Agora and OS Commerce. Gets SSL security for your transactions, a certificate generated for free and OpenPGP / GPG Encryption.
Unlimited bandwidth sounds good, but I’m pretty sure they would limit your account according to their fair use policy if your website had outstanding traffic. There is no such thing as unlimited bandwidth. Bluehost Review has to pay for the bandwidth it is using. This applies to all web hosts. I suggest you read my publication on bandwidth and disk space.
The $ 200 in free marketing credits are also helpful if you own a store. You can use them to promote your business through Google, Facebook, Bing and Twitter.
Having said all that, Bluehost is not especially known for e-commerce, and some sites make setting up a store easier and faster. But Bluehost is an economical choice, and you will gain access to a lot of excellent features to help you sell online.
Safety is an area where Bluehost excels. It gets three layers of spam protection in the form of Spam Hammer and Apache Spam Assassin Experts. You also get protection for your inbox; it’s easy to set up filters. Their directories are password protected.
If you need to block access to your site, you have the option to include IP addresses in the blacklist. Another first-class feature is secure shell access (SSH). This allows you to access the configuration files individually and securely.
Bluehost also offers a one-click integration with CloudFlare, which provides even more excellent security features and accelerates your site! CloudFlare is particularly suitable for thwarting DDOS attacks.
How to Install WordPress on BlueHost
What Other Services Does Bluehost Offer?
What do I get with the Bluehost Marketplace?
Thousands of apps, plug-ins and scripts. You can integrate them into your website with a simple click. These apps can extend the functionality of your blog or help you with your online business.
- WordPress Themes
- Discussion forums
- Picture Galleries
- Marketing tools
- Customer support tools, including live chat
- Shipping calculator for online shops
- E-commerce platforms and shopping carts
- Professional services such as design, development, marketing and advertising
and much more.
What does the baseline plan offer?
- A free domain that’s great if you do not have a website yet
- You can host a single website with an unlimited number of subdomains
- SSL certificate (required if you are creating a small ecommerce store, but all sites should have one)
- Easy one-click installation of WordPress
- Automatic WordPress updates
- Bluehost limits your storage space, but gives you bandwidth without bandwidth. The space allocated will be enough to run a small personal website.
Functions for geeks
Maybe you’re a developer or thinking of hiring a developer to help you build your website. In that case, you might want to know that Bluehost offers you the following:
- SSH access
- FTP access
- Unmetrized MySQL databases.
What does Bluehost manage for its Business Cloud Accounts?
The fact that these accounts are “fully managed” means you do not have to worry about maintaining your hosting environment.
Bluehost will manage:
- Security Patches
- Port access
- Maintain languages
- Responding to attacks on servers
- Response to server down incidents
Why does the WordPress organization recommend Bluehost?
We also asked ourselves, so we went straight to the source: WordPress. There are tens of thousands of web hosts, but WordPress recommends only three (3!) Bluehost is one of them. Why? Why is Bluehost so special? Why does WordPress recommend Bluehost?
- While the vast majority of hosts meet the minimum requirements for WordPress, WordPress works best when it’s in a rich hosting environment.
- The WordPress organization publishes important features provided by Bluehost, including: well-designed dashboards and tools created specifically for WordPress users
- Bluehost offers free domain name, FTP, email
- They make upgrading easier
- Bluehost is supported by “legendary” 24/7 support from Bluehost’s own WordPress experts.
Do we recommend Bluehost?
Not the best (we're still preaching HostGator Cloud on Bluehost), but for a simple website / blog, it's probably the best option.
They are cheap and easy to start. Hence the reason Robert Mening is suggesting that people start blogging using Bluehost.
Overall, Bluehost is a TOP 5 strong host and you should not go wrong with it.
Bluehost provides excellent availability and intuitive website creation software, making it easy to create attractive, functional and stable sites for your business. However, it lacks some features found in competing hosting services.
About the Author
I'm Professional SEO Specialist, Team Leader of RegentSEO, a Trusted SEO Agency with over 7 years industry experience. I understand what it takes to get your website #1. Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have! Let me help you build and strengthen your online presence. More About Me...